Kitchen Garden Guides

Saturday, April 24, 2010

Boats with Smiles

There were gale force winds and rain forecast for Saturday so Liz rang me up and asked me to go for a sail.... well I did previously say anytime would be ok! We launched ourselves off the shore in the dinghy to row out to the mooring; the sun shining and the sea a glassy calm. I knew nothing about the boat other than it is made of concrete and is 20' long. I did not expect such a beautiful little creature as Verity, a Flicka 20, which are born, as one magazine cutting says "with smiles on their faces".

With all the quality fittings of a big cruiser, this 1981 yacht can handle anything.... which I was very pleased to learn as the wind began to come up in gusts from every direction, once we had the jib up!

Picturesque barely conjures up the natural beauty as we sailed down the coast from Cygnet to Lymington. As we looked north we left behind the green pastures of Cygnet and all around us gently rose the layer upon layer of forested and farmed hills. While south, the bay opens up and eventually reaches the Channel, as they call the stretch of water between Bruny Island and the coast. It is deep right to the shore, and was once where large ships would load apples for export..... after being a common escape destination for convicts in the early 1800's!

The gusty and at times strong and turbulent wind kept us concentrating, but only added to the enjoyment of a cup of tea and a biscuit. Eventually the wind set itself firmly from the north, and of course this was exactly the direction we needed to sail into to return home. After several tacks we gave in, took down the jib and put up the iron sails. Back on the mooring, the rain and gale force winds unleashed themselves so we settled down in the cosy and roomy cabin for another cup of tea.

I did not take my camera as I had heard that this dinghy was very leaky, so I found a photo of another Flicka 20 online. Next week there is a wonderful weekend on near here, at Franklin, called "Daggy Dinghy Day" where you take your daggiest dinghy and someone there will tell you how to restore it to its former glory..... Liz is taking hers. However, I would call her's quaint and beautiful..... stable, light and wooden.... with oars to die for..... just in need of recaulking and a lick of paint. We have a little deal..... I help fix it up and I can take it out in the bay for a spot of squidding now and then. What could be better than that?

No comments: